News from Southern Colorado's Basecamp for Adventure
It's Time to Escape the City for a Weekend of Powder
Wolf Creek is beloved by
Seeking a different adventure?
Trade Traffic & Crowds for
(photo courtesy of Wolf Creek Ski Area)
- Created: 10 February 2019 10 February 2019
6 Reasons to Spend Thanksgiving with Your Family in Creede, CO
Six Reasons to Spend Thanksgiving with Your Family in Creede, CO
- Chocolate Festival-Meander the streets of Creede and sample homemade chocolate from the local businesses. This two-day festival of tasting is judged by you! The winner receives the bragging rights of having the best chocolate in town. Make sure to stop in the Kentucky Belle for some salty snacks; I like to make a necklace of mini pretzels. One pretzel between samples will do wonders for your pallet.
- Black Friday-Get a kick-start on your holiday shopping. In addition to sales during normal business hours, some stores open early and offer extra savings for a short period of time. The shops of Creede will have something for everyone on your list from horsehair jewelry at Rare Things to adventure gear at San Juan Sports and craft projects for the kiddos at Off Broadway. I recommend you pack an empty suitcase, so your treasures have a safe place to travel.
- Wolf Creek-Known for the “most snow in Colorado” with an average of over 400” of natural snow each year, Wolf Creek is the perfect ski area for families. In addition to the Wolf Pups Ski School, the mountain has an even amount of runs from beginner to expert; there are runs for everyone in the family.
- The Views-Creede is nestled among the San Juan Mountains in Rio Grande National Forest. The city is located just off the Silver Thread Scenic Byway. On your way into Creede, you could see a variety of wildlife such as big horned sheep, deer, and elk just to name a few. You’ll enjoy your morning coffee in peace while taking in the view of snowcapped mountains. You’ll want to be sure to pack your camera.
- Slower Pace-You will not find a traffic light in Creede; just stop signs. With everything near, you’ll find yourself walking throughout this quaint town. You’ll notice that the locals wave as they pass you and say hello.
- Reconnect with Your Family-Most of the businesses in Creede close at five. This provides you ample opportunity to make some quality memories with your family. Why not pack a board game or two for an impromptu game night or bring some conversation cards to get the ball rolling? There is nothing like a cool quiet evening sipping hot cocoa and getting to know your kids again. You’ll make memories that last a lifetime and you’ll be glad you spent Thanksgiving in Creede with your family.
- Created: 01 October 2018 01 October 2018
Fall in Love with Our Colors
While summer is in full swing, snow is the perfect time to start planning your fall getaway to the Colorado Rockies. Our yellow aspens, blue skies, green pines, and white fluffy clouds will make you want to stay.
When I first moved to Creede, winter was well underway. The aspen trees had long dropped their yellow leaves. The white limbs were there to tease me about the visual I had missed out on. You see, growing up in the DC area, fall is full of vivid reds-I wanted to see some yellow! Upon spotting my first yellow leaf in mid-August, I was giddy; I’m going to see the aspens change, and all in my backyard! When the Aspen leaves were at their peak, I was mesmerized by their intense yellow colors. My roommate and I loaded up in his truck, dubbed “The Candy Striper”, and into the mountains of Creede, we ventured, accompanied by Lionel Richie’s Greatest Hits (a fifty-cent thrift store find and the only music “The Candy Striper” would play). The journey began with a drive up Miner’s Creek. It had just snowed so there were puddles left behind from where the snow had quickly melted. The reflection of the trees in the puddles motivated me to snap some photos. Upward we went and cut over to Rat Creek. Everywhere I looked there was yellow, green, blue, and white (from the clouds, not the snow). This fall will have been ten years since that epic adventure, and I often look back on those photos fondly. The memory of that day is one that will stay with me for eternity.
This September, make sure to enjoy the colors for yourself. If you prefer to drive on paved roads, the Silver Thread Scenic Byway is the way to go. The 117-mile drive from South Fork to Gunnison will provide you with countless photos opportunities, especially as you’re crossing the Continental Divide. You’ll be able to capture the intense colors, and may even spot some wildlife; moose, big horned sheep, and deer are often spotted along the Silver Thread Scenic Byway.
Mark your calendars for September 15 for the annual Cruisin’ the Canyon Car Show. Each year, Main Street Creede is lined with classic cars. From Main Street head north to the Underground Community Center and enjoy the hard work of the Creede Quilter’s Guild. These ladies work so hard they can only showcase their work every other year. Be sure to bring your wallet, there will be a quilt that you must have.
Creede is the place to enjoy the fall in Colorful Colorado. Bring your camera and come to it see for yourself. The memories will last a lifetime.
Come and stay for the week! This year South Fork is putting together a ColorFest weekend September 22-23. Details are coming soon and will be updated on the South Fork Visitor’s Center web page. Contact us today to book your week-long stay and Fall in Love with our Colors.
Our vacation rentals in South Fork, are a beautiful 20-minute drive along one of Colorado's twenty-six scenic byways from Creede. Whether you stay in Creede or South Fork you'll be close to all the September action and amidst beautiful fall colors. Contact us TODAY to book your September getaway and Fall In Love with our Colors.
August 3-5; Rock & Mineral Show; Creede, CO
August 3-5; Rhythms on the Rio, South Fork, CO
August 25-26; Headwaters Music Festival, Creede, CO
August 31-September 3, Labor Day Celebration, Creede, CO
September 14-16; Crusin' The Canyon Car Show, Creede, CO
- Created: 15 July 2018 15 July 2018
You’ve booked your Spring Break vacation, your skis are tuned, and you’re counting down the days till you are back in Colorado. You LOVE Colorado, you wish you could live in Colorado because of the abundance of outdoor fun; you thrive in the mountains. That mountain lifestyle is calling your name. We have good news for you; one of our vacation rentals in the River Club neighborhood, Texas Pride is for sale. That mountain lifestyle you dream about is calling your name. Will you answer?
May 13th is Mother’s Day. How will you be honoring the special lady? Why not treat her to a weekend retreat in the mountains? She and some friends could use a little R n R (and perhaps a spa day at Ooh La Spa). After all, doesn’t Mom deserve it for everything she does?
It’s not too early to start planning for your Memorial Day weekend. Creede will be buzzing with activity from the opening of the National Small Print Show, hosted by the Creede Arts Council, to the Annual Taste of Creede, the brainchild of legendary artist, Steve Quiller. Not only will you be able to glance at artists working on their masterpiece's on Main Street you’ll also be able to watch the Silver Chef Cook-Off. Each restaurant in town sends a representative to take part in an Iron-Chef type of competition. You’ll be glad you participated in the Taste of Creede.
Last year Creede celebrated its 125th birthday with a pack burro race through the historic mining district. The event was such a hit they will be hosting the Creede Donkey Dash again in early June. You do not want to miss this. The kiddos will have the opportunity to race baby burros on Main Street too! Be sure to check the Creede Visitor’s Center webpage for more details as they become available.
Our vacation rentals are perfect for families and groups. When you stay with us you’ll experience all the luxury of a hotel with the comforts of home, all the while enjoying that mountain lifestyle you love. Put our Home Concierge Services to use and let us assist you in planning your next vacation to southwestern Colorado. South Fork’s proximity to Wolf Creek Ski Area makes South Fork the ideal town to rest your head after a day on the slopes for that last minute fix. Additionally, South Fork is surrounded by Rio Grande National Forest for those wanting to explore the backcountry. A short drive up the Silverthread Scenic Byway is the town of Creede, which makes for a fun day trip. Contact us today to book your reservation for your mountain lifestyle vacation in the Colorado Rockies.
March 9-11; Monte Vista Crane Festival; Monte Vista, Colorado
March 31; South Fork Kite Festival, South Fork, Colorado
May 25; Nation Small Print Show Opens, Creede, Colorado
May 25-27; Taste of Creede, Creede, Colorado
June 9; Creede Donkey Dash, Creede Colorado
June 10; Gravity Derby, Creede, Colorado
June 16; Kid’s Fishing Clinic, South Fork, Colorado
June17-23; Salmon Fly Hatch Days, South Fork, Colorado
- Created: 04 March 2018 04 March 2018
President’s Day Ski Specials In The Rockies! Book Now!
“There’s snow. And then there’s Colorado Snow.” Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow; which means six more weeks of winter!
Our luxury townhomes are located in South Fork, Colorado, a mere 20 miles east of Wolf Creek. With open floor plans and various sleeping configurations, our vacation rentals are perfect for families, large groups, or couples seeking a romantic getaway. All of our rentals feature entertainment-style kitchens, three bathrooms, and soaking tubs (after a hard day on the slopes, your legs will thank you). Contact us today to book your President’s Day Weekend Ski Vacation.
South Fork is the ideal location to stay when skiing at Wolf Creek. Not only is South Fork the closest town to the ski area, the town is family-friendly and extremely safe. With dining options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and a grocery store in town, all of your meals will be easily covered. For those seeking the ultimate vacation, let our Home Concierge Service do the grocery shopping for you. We will even help coordinate catering for you. Imagine coming “home” after an epic day on the slopes to a hot meal waiting for you by one of the many talented chefs in the area. Now THAT’S a vacation!
If a vacation in Creede is more your style, be sure to visit for Cabin Fever Daze. With three full days of events, you’ll need a vacation from your vacation. Visit the Creede Community Foundation’s webpage for more details about the event. Our cabin rentals in Creede are close to the action and ideal for families and groups. Peruse the various cabin rentals in Creede to enjoy with your friends and families.
As you know, the San Luis Valley is home to countless unique features and events. March is no exception, with the Monte Vista Crane Festival. Each spring the San Luis Valley becomes inundated with various migratory birds, such as sandhill cranes, geese, and ducks. With the majestic Sangre de Cristo mountain range for a backdrop, bird lovers from all regions flock to Monte Vista for this unique event. Be sure to bring your camera because you’re going to want to document this marvelous event.
You may find links to other Events in the San Luis Valley, such as discount days at Wolf Creek, on our Home Page.
With Spring Break on the horizon, be sure to consider a week skiing at Wolf Creek in the Colorado Rockies. Contact US today to book your stay and reserve your discounted lift tickets to Wolf Creek for Spring Break 2018. See ya on the slopes.
- Created: 02 February 2018 02 February 2018