6 Reasons to Spend Thanksgiving with Your Family in Creede, CO
Created: 01 October 2018 01 October 2018
Six Reasons to Spend Thanksgiving with Your Family in Creede, CO
- Chocolate Festival-Meander the streets of Creede and sample homemade chocolate from the local businesses. This two-day festival of tasting is judged by you! The winner receives the bragging rights of having the best chocolate in town. Make sure to stop in the Kentucky Belle for some salty snacks; I like to make a necklace of mini pretzels. One pretzel between samples will do wonders for your pallet.
- Black Friday-Get a kick-start on your holiday shopping. In addition to sales during normal business hours, some stores open early and offer extra savings for a short period of time. The shops of Creede will have something for everyone on your list from horsehair jewelry at Rare Things to adventure gear at San Juan Sports and craft projects for the kiddos at Off Broadway. I recommend you pack an empty suitcase, so your treasures have a safe place to travel.
- Wolf Creek-Known for the “most snow in Colorado” with an average of over 400” of natural snow each year, Wolf Creek is the perfect ski area for families. In addition to the Wolf Pups Ski School, the mountain has an even amount of runs from beginner to expert; there are runs for everyone in the family.
- The Views-Creede is nestled among the San Juan Mountains in Rio Grande National Forest. The city is located just off the Silver Thread Scenic Byway. On your way into Creede, you could see a variety of wildlife such as big horned sheep, deer, and elk just to name a few. You’ll enjoy your morning coffee in peace while taking in the view of snowcapped mountains. You’ll want to be sure to pack your camera.
- Slower Pace-You will not find a traffic light in Creede; just stop signs. With everything near, you’ll find yourself walking throughout this quaint town. You’ll notice that the locals wave as they pass you and say hello.
- Reconnect with Your Family-Most of the businesses in Creede close at five. This provides you ample opportunity to make some quality memories with your family. Why not pack a board game or two for an impromptu game night or bring some conversation cards to get the ball rolling? There is nothing like a cool quiet evening sipping hot cocoa and getting to know your kids again. You’ll make memories that last a lifetime and you’ll be glad you spent Thanksgiving in Creede with your family.